vimService.wsdl CLI problems with Server version unavailable

We are using HP G5 rackmount servers with Vsphere 4. This morning I came up with a idea that we need HP CIM providers installed for ESXI 4.0 in order to see more sensor values including RAID controller etc.

I got Suse SLES installed (10 SP 2 works :)) and installed the command line tools. Unfortunately, running vihostupdate reported the following error:

Error: Server version unavailable at ‘https://10.10.10.10/sdk/vimService.wsdl’

Before installing command line tools, I didn’t pay much attention if I have all the required libs installed. So I started to figure out where is the problem and found that my SLES install didn’t had openssl-devel installed.

I installed openssl-devel and run the command line tools install once again and it worked fine (I didn’t get errors about missing Perl SSLeay module).

This time, the update worked like a charm.

Comments

1. Luiz Felipe says:

Dude,

It helped me a lot!

Thanks!

2. Genadi says:

Thanks, but does not work for me when I try /usr/lib/vmware-vcli/apps/vm/vmcontrol.pl –operation shutdown –vmname vCSD-vStorage (and other parameters I wont publish obviously).

openssl-devel is installed latest version, SSLeay on perl is also installed (Makefile.PL does not complain anymore).

Any ideas?

3. Genadi says:

Never mind I figured it out.. port had to be 443 and I did 80 :)

I am now looking for a way to modify the vmcontrol script, in order to operate on machines by MAC address.

Any ideas how to do that?

4. Bodo Eggert says:

The Debian packet libio-socket-ssl-perl is needed for https operation.

5. Freaky says:

Also caused by a perl module wanting to check the certificate (which are usually self-signed and will thus fail).

export PERL_LWP_SSL_VERIFY_HOSTNAME=0

should solve it.

6. Otto says:

Yes! This worked for me too:

export PERL_LWP_SSL_VERIFY_HOSTNAME=0

(I know I’m responding to a two year old post, just wanted to reaffirm that the fix works)